Monday, September 12, 2011

Homemade Butter Cream Icing






Today I thought I'd share the recipe I use for butter cream icing. I've made two, 3-layer cakes in the past couple weeks and used this recipe for the icing. I've had the recipe for years and it's the one I always go to when I want to use homemade icing instead of canned. Of course, the consistency can be changed for making roses, borders, writing,etc. For 3 layer cakes, I double the recipe and usually have just a bit left over (which my son usually sneaks in and tries to eat when he "thinks" I'm not looking). It's delicious. Give it a try for your next cake!



Butter Cream Icing
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened (not margarine)
1/2 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 lb. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. milk (might use more or less, depending on consistency your going for)

In mixer, blend together butter, shortening, vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar about 1/2 c. at a time. Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time, mixing well after each addition. I check my consistency with a spoon after 2 Tbsp. milk to see if I need more milk. If you're just icing a cake and making a border, you'll want a medium consistency that's not too stiff and not too runny. For icing the cake, I use an offset spatula as well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...