Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Favorite Christmas Treat



One of family's Christmas traditions is to make treats to deliver to friends and neighbors. A favorite of ours to give is peanut butter balls. Oh my-- they are so good! I've shared a peanut butter ball recipe before that is very good(you can find that in my RECIPES section), but I decided to go with another recipe that we really like. This one has coconut and pecans in it. De-lish! It comes from my Southern Living Cookbook. Love that cook book. Lots of great recipes. I'm glad I received it as a Christmas present one year from a great friend. Laci and I also made snickerdoodles to go along with the peanut butter balls. She's always a great helper in the kitchen.

We packaged up our treats in cute Christmas containers and sacks and then headed off to deliver them Monday night for our family home evening activity. We did have to trek out into the rain, but it was worth it. It's fun to give a small token of friendship, especially one you can eat!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Balls
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 1/2 c. chopped peanuts or pecans
1 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 (16 oz.) pkg. powdered sugar
1 (12 oz.) jar crunchy or creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 (12 oz. packages semisweet chocolate morsels(I used a pkg. of chocolate candy coating)
3 tablespoons shortening

Combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls.
Combine chocolate morsels and shortening in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate melts. Dip each peanut butter ball into chocolate mixture. Place on wax paper to cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: about 9 dozen

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...