Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oatmeal Cake - One of My Favorites


I have a dee-licious recipe to share with you today for Oatmeal Cake. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to get this up on my blog because it is one of my favorite cakes!

I got this recipe a few years ago from a friend that I went to church with, but she has since moved. She was a great cook! When I made it and then ate a piece, I knew that I'd had this cake before. Sure enough I had. My nanny said that she used to make an oatmeal cake like this.I'm sure I ate this at her house. She is another great cook! And this is a great cake! The broiled pecan, coconut topping is so, so good! It is also very moist.

I actually have a couple recipes for this cake which are both pretty similar. One of them can be made in a sheet pan, which is great for larger crowds. For this one, I used the recipe from my friend.You can get it below.

Oatmeal Cake
1 1/4 boiling water
1 c. quick oatmeal
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Pour water over oats and butter. Microwave for 2 minutes. Add white sugar, brown sugar , eggs and vanilla. Mix remaining dry ingredients together first before adding to the oat mixture. Mix well.Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.

Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. evaporated milk
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. shredded coconut
6 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Bring sugar, evap. milk, brown sugar, butter and vanilla to a boil and cook for one minute. Add nuts and coconut. Stir together. Spread on cake and broil in oven until it is lightly browned. Do not leave cake unattended while broiling.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...