Monday, September 13, 2010

Pumpkin Sheet Cake



A while back I was looking for a yummy cake recipe that would feed the masses and stumbled upon this yum pumpkin sheet cake from All Recipes. It is very good! I love it because it feeds so many, tastes great and is simple to make. This cake is great for potlucks. I just took it to one yesterday. I came home with an empty pan. : ) My pic is not so great. I remembered to take it right before we left for church. It's already cut and has toothpicks stuck in it so I can put foil over it. Here I've sprinkled half the cake with chopped pecans and left the other half without nuts for those who don't prefer them. Also, I took a short cut this time and frosted it with canned cream cheese frosting. Yes, I did. I found that it is much better, of course, when I make the cream cheese frosting. You can really taste the difference. Give this cake a try for your next gathering!


Pumpkin Sheet Cake
1 (15 oz.) can canned pumpkin puree
2 c. white sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 c. all -purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
5 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar
3 tsp. milk
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Grease and flour a 15x10 sheet pan.In mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, 2 c. white sugar and oil. Add eggs and mix well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat until well blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured 15x10 inch sheet baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add 1 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar and mix well. Add milk until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frost cake and sprinkle with nuts.** A note about the frosting, you might want to double the recipe if you like a thicker coat of frosting. This makes enough for a thin layer of frosting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...