Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Scratch Art



Recently, I was searching for more art projects to do with the kids in the after school program at the middle school and remembered something my son had done in one of his classes. I didn't know what it was called, but I knew he scratched off paint and pretty colors were underneath and it was kinda cool. So, on my search I found "Scratch Art" at Skip To My Lou in the arts &crafts section! Yay! She has all the directions, but I'll give them to you, as well.


On an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of white card stock color very hard onto your card stock. It doesn't have to be a picture, just blocks of different colors. Be sure to color hard until it is waxy looking. I found that it helps to draw a rectangle on the paper as the area to color in. That way, on your next step you won't be painting to the very edge of the paper.



Then mix together some black acrylic paint(maybe 2 Tbsp.) and a couple drops of dish detergent. Mix together and with a foam brush paint over the crayon. Let dry for an hour or longer.


Next, take a toothpick and scratch off the paint to make a picture or whatever design you like. I did a simple one to show how it looks. Hmmm. Looking at this I can't help but think of my 7th grade art teacher, Mrs. Stokes, and how she told us that the sun doesn't have sticks coming out of it. Ha!! Oh well, I like my pink and purple stick sun!

The kids at school had a lot of fun with this! We also did this for a family night activity,well, we still have to scratch ours. But my kids we're really into it. Give it a try!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...