Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Banana Pudding---The Real Thing




I wanted to make my husband a dessert that he really likes for Father's Day and I know he is a big fan of coconut, but I do those desserts frequently,so I didn't want to do that. While I was going through my recipe files it hit me. Banana Pudding! He loves it, but I have only made it for him like one other time, long ago. I think I was content just to eat it at my grandmother's house because she makes it so good anyways and I was probably a little intimidated about making my own pudding, too. I mean it's a classic, so you gotta get it right!

Although, it's not my favorite like it is his, I do like it a lot. I guess you could even call us banana pudding snobs. Both of us will only eat it if it is homemade-like from scratch. By homemade I mean you make your own pudding and meringue. No banana flavored Jell-O pudding with bananas, wafers and Cool Whip on top. No offense to those who make it like that, but it's just so much better the real way! I guess when you've eaten it from scratch your whole life that's what you expect a banana pudding to be. I remember my grandmother letting me layer the vanilla wafers when I was young and her stirring the pudding in the top of the double boiler. Good memories. I also remember the first time I ate "the other kind" of banana pudding. I was probably about 18 years old having dinner at a friends house and we had banana pudding for dessert. One bite went in my mouth and I still remember thinking,"this is not banana pudding." I was polite and choked it down anyway.

I've rambled on and on about banana pudding, but at least you know how I feel about it now! Ha! Ha! Mine turned out pretty good if I do say so. Maybe not as good as my grandmother's, but still good! Will loved it and asked when I could make it again. He so kindly shared with the rest of us and we tore into that pudding like a pack of wolves. I didn't even get a picture of it on the plate! This recipe comes from one I already had and from calling my nanny and asking if it was right.She told me what I needed to increase or decrease and tips on making the pudding. You can get the recipe at the end of this post! I'm also sharing it at Mandy's Recipe Box for Totally Tasty Tuesdays!
Link



I put vanilla wafers(I used mini ones because that's what I already had) along the side just like my nanny does. I think it looks pretty that way, too!


Banana Pudding

1 c. sugar

1/3 c. flour

1/4 tsp. salt

3 eggs, separated

2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 box vanilla wafers(I used mini ones because that's what I had)

3 to 5 bananas, sliced (Depending on how much banana you like.I used 3)

3 Tbsp. sugar

Mix 1 c.sugar, flour and salt together in top of double boiler. Blend in the 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook mixture uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly with a wire wisk for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened.Do not let it scorch.* Do not let your water in the double boiler boil dry* Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Spread a small amount of pudding on bottom of 1 ½ or a 2 quart casserole dish; cover with a layer of wafers and layer of sliced bananas;to your taste. Pour about 1/3 of pudding over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and pudding to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with pudding. Beat egg whites until they get frothy and add the 3 Tbsp. sugar. Whip until SOFT peaks form. Spread over pudding and broil until lightly browned. *I like to let the pudding cool and put it in the fridge to get cold before it is served.

1 comment:

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That banana pudding sounds delicious! It seems like the homemade version of recipes is always the best :) How sweet of you to make it for father's day. I'd love for you to come by and show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day :)
Katie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...