Thursday, June 9, 2011

Coconut Custard Pie


Today I have a Coconut Custard Pie to share with you and it's a good one! I first tried this pie at my grandmother's house and then made sure to get the recipe from her. This pie was something a little different for me. A different that was good! I've had coconut cream pies and coconut pies with meringue, which I call "calf slobber"( That's what my Pop always called it), but not a coconut custard. It is creamy, full of coconut and delicious! Add it to your pie list!

However, my pie might have had a bit too much nutmeg. When I was making it, something that has never happened in all my time baking or cooking happened. The mixer was going and I was measuring out the nutmeg and dropped the ENTIRE container in the mixer while it was on! What?! The mixer flung my little nutmeg bottle out and it went everywhere. Everywhere! Did I mention it was everywhere! It kinda caught me off guard! Such a mess to clean up! Needless to say, my pie miiiight have had a tad bit more nutmeg than was called for, but it still tasted great! It was all quite comical if I do say so!

Check out Miz Helen's Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday where I'm linking up this recipe, which is at the end of this post!Link




Coconut Custard Pie

1 unbaked pie crust

1 c. flaked coconut

3 eggs

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 ¼ c. hot water

1 tsp. vanilla

¼ tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 425. Toast 1/2 c. coconut; set aside. Bake pie crust 8 minutes at 425 degrees; cool slightly. In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Add condensed milk, water, vanilla, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Stir in remaining ½ c. coconut. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Bake 10 minutes at 425. Reduce temperature to 350.Bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. Chill if desired. Store in refrigerator.



1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Missy,
What a beautiful pie. This was one of my Dad's favorite pies and your recipe looks delicious! It brings back great memories of my Dad. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...